IRS REPRESENTATION FOR TAXPAYERS IN THE HUDSON VALLEY AND THROUGHOUT NEW YORK STATE
Owing taxes can be frightening and the IRS can be relentless. If you owe money to the IRS, they will send you a notice stating how much you owe, including any interest or penalty charges that have been added to your debt. Many times, this notice arrives via certified mail. If you don't pay the first bill, they will send you another. It is important to remember that any interest or penalties will continue to accrue until your debt has been paid in full. In the event that you fail to make payments after receiving your final bill, the IRS will begin to undertake collection actions.
WHAT IF I CANNOT PAY THE IRS?
If you are struggling to make your payments and worry about possible collection actions, The Woods Law Firm, P.C. can assist with negotiating an installment payment agreement. This agreement allows you to make smaller payments over time. To be eligible, you must file all required tax returns. In addition, for large balances, you may need to complete additional financial forms which enumerate your income and assets. When a client retains The Woods Law Firm, P.C., we file a Power of Attorney and can successfully navigate this process.
COLLECTION DUE PROCESS
You can appeal IRS collection actions if you receive any of the following notices:
- Notice of Federal Tax Lien Filing / Your Right to a Hearing
- Notice of Intent to Levy / Notice of Your Right to a Hearing
- Notice of Jeopardy Levy / Right of Appeal
- Notice of Levy on Your State Tax Refund / Notice of Your Right to a Hearing
- Notice of Levy / Your Right to a Hearing
To request an appeal hearing, you must complete and submit a Request for a Collection Due Process or Equivalent Hearing.
POSSIBLE IRS COLLECTION ACTIONS
- Federal Tax Lien: A legal claim against all your current and future property. Federal tax liens apply to properties like your home and car. This action also applies to any current and future rights you have to property.
- Levy: While a lien establishes claim to your property, a levy is an actual seizure of your property.
If you are facing IRS collections, you should immediately consult with a lawyer. At the Woods Law Firm, P.C., we know how difficult it is to deal with the IRS and we are familiar with tax law. Attorney Roderick D. Woods is admitted to practice before the United States Tax Court. Let us put our experience to work for you today.